Thursday 28 November 2019

Digital audio - reflection

reflection - over the 3 week period i learned a lot about the evolution of digital audio recording technology, the significance of digital audio technology in modern daily life & about the composition of podcasts, my group learned by each doing our own individual research using different search engines trying to find a wide variety of sources to base our research on. We then met up multiple times to share what we found but we quickly found this tedious and made the process of sharing our findings longer so we decided to switch from sharing links and screenshots in our group chat to making a google slideshow so that we could all edit the presentation simultaneously and add information to it more regularly than when we could find a free computer in the college library.

It became clear for me very quickly that I knew much less about digital audio than I first would have thought as when we were doing our research I found I was learning a lot of new information, which I feel made the project seem like it had more of a purpose as we went through it. I did enjoy learning about the historical side of digital audio technology, going back as far as Edison and the phonograph, in future i would like to actually visit some kind of museum which houses these kind of old technologies and see if i can find out anything more even for myself.

I also  discovered that it was much easier to create my own podcast than I had thought, while doing my research i found multiple podcast hosting websites, which my group are talking about making our own more permanent show since doing this project, I had worked with audacity before so I was able to also teach my teammates how to use the software so we could all contribute to the formation of our podcast, unfortunately because we had to rush the making of our podcast we did not have time to make the audio clearer and it ended up sounding very grainy and un-level creating a bit of a mess for the audio track.

There was a bit of an issue with one of my teammates not taking on his share of the workload which caused issues for my group but we did manage to finish just in time to upload and present, my teammates also wanted to have a guest appear on our podcast which made its own issues arise such as scheduling conflicts and finding a suitable space to record. It also then became very frustrating trying to record due to bickering between one of my team mates and our guest, where we were asked not to use the audio.

Overall I think our podcast was successful as it was a good length and we did demonstrate some knowledge of editing skills and our presentation contained a lot of relevant information about the concept of digital audio as well as a brief history lesson for our peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment